There’s something about spring that makes us reach for the duster and mop and clean all those places we’ve been avoiding for the past four months! And it also presents a great opportunity to do some deep cleaning of your floors. From hardwood to carpet, laminate and tile, here’s how to clean your floors this spring.
Keep your carpet fresh
It’s important to clean your carpet regularly to keep it looking its best and lasting longer – but life gets in the way! If you’ve been skimping on the cleaning, get down and give it a good clean after the winter.
- Use a good quality vacuum and keep your vacuum filter clean
- Vacuum once a week (or more in high-traffic areas)
- Clean up spills and messes when they happen, with the right tools
- Use place mats
- Get your carpet professionally cleaned every six months to a year; schedule your cleaning in the spring to get rid of all that dust and dirt from months spent indoors!
Make hardwood shine
Hardwood is fairly low maintenance on a day-to-day basis. Regular sweeping and vacuuming is usually enough to take care of daily dust and dirt buildup. But this spring, take some extra time to help your hardwood last longer.
- Wipe up spills and tracked-in dirt as soon as they happen
- Sweep or dust at least once a week
- For dirtier floors, use a hardwood-specific cleaner
- Avoid buffing machines and beater-bar vacuums
- Refer to your manufacturer’s’ instructions for specific instructions
Bring laminate back to life
Laminate is one of the lowest maintenance flooring options out there – but that doesn’t mean you can skip the cleaning altogether.
- Avoid cleaners that contain soap
- Clean loose dirt with dust mop or vacuum (but not a beater-bar vacuum)
- Wipe up spills when they happen
- Purchase a high quality laminate floor cleaner, but avoid using lots of water as this can lead to damage
- Don’t use wax, polish, buffing machines or steam mops
- Refer to your manufacturer’s instructions for specific instructions
Extend the life of your tile
Whether you have ceramic or porcelain tile, it’s a durable and low-maintenance option. But before you forgo cleaning altogether, try these cleaning tips this spring.
- Avoid mold, mildew and grime buildup by cleaning with a damp mop
- Dry it thoroughly with a clean towel or cloth
- Don’t use detergent or soap as it can dull the tile’s surface
- Trap dirt and dust with mats
- Avoid using steam mops
Wondering how often you should be cleaning your floors? Find out with the room-by-room floor cleaning guide from Bigelow Flooring in Guelph!